Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kid... You are going places

I got my results back from my pelvic ultrasound and my CA-125.  Everything came back normal.  I have another 6 months before I have to do any more screening!!! Yep that's right, I finally am going to start feeling normal instead of feeling like a science experiment.  I also had a MRSA swab today.  I wanted to say.... Let's just treat me like I a carrier so I don't have to get swabbed.  Aren't all nurses carriers?!? So I will have those results early next week.  That won't change much for my actual exchange surgery.  I will just have a different antibiotic given during surgery.  My exchange surgery did get pushed back to August 5th.  I have to be in Overland park by 6 am.  That is going to be an early morning.  We will be leaving here at 3:30.  Yuck!!!  But I will be so excited, it won't matter!!!!

Today while I was driving home from Manhattan, it donned on me that it has been right at a year since I first found out about my BRCA status. That day,   I had just spent the afternoon shopping with Cain. Cain was just about to start working out of town and only home on the weekends, so we decided to spend the day together.  On my drive to go pick up the boys  from day care, I received the call.  I was told when I left the genetic counselor's office that if the nurse called.. I was negative, if the doctor called I was positive.  So I answered the phone and I don't remember much of the call except " Hello Jessie, This is Dr. K......"  I pulled over on a side road (Repp road to be exact) and she talked a little longer and then right before we hung up, I asked her to refer me to a breast surgeon.  I sat there and cried for a while before I got back on the road to go pick up the boys. I was the 6th person (out of 6 tested so far) that was positive.  That is right, at first we had a 100% rate for positive BRCA 2 mutations. Since then there has been some negatives now.   After that day though, I got focused, I focused on what I needed to do to get rid of my risks.  What a year it has been and I am almost done.  A little over 2 weeks and I will be done! Done! Done!!!  Well, unless I decide to have lipo fat grafting done ( I am thinking I may just want the lipo fat grafting, just so I can take care of some of this extra "softness" I have aquired from this inactive winter/spring).  That would be a while down the road after my implants have settled and if I end up with some rippling or something. 

Talking with mom today, she is having a tougher time healing.  She has a seroma on her right side, which has caused a pinpoint opening at her incision that has started draining.  Her left side is just now starting to finally heal.  We had a long conversation on discouraging vs devastating.  This situation by all means is discouraging.  We are just grateful that this discouraging situation isn't a devastating situation where we are dealing with cancer. I couldn't imagine not having my mom to turn to.  Family means everything, don't ever let anything come in the way.  I have grown a lot through this and truly appreciate what is important in life.  And not to let discouraging situations devastate your life.  I have a beautiful family, with 2 perfect boys!!

So I can't believe I almost forgot to say.... We have our house in Florida!!!!  We will be leaving the sunflower state either October 1 or 2. Yes in a little over 10 weeks we are leaving!!!!!  Can't wait for our new adventure!!!!

Another exciting (not BRCA, boobs, or cancer related)  note....... My youngest son is potty trained!  And I have to say, he did it on his own. I wasn't going to start trying until after the move, but he came up to me one afternoon and said "mom, I have to pee!"  Talk about excited!!! He will be 3 in about 3 weeks.  He has been so proud.  Everytime he went pee at first, he would get excited and say "mommy... I make yellow!"  Then I would laugh and hug him and tell him how proud of him I am that he made yellow in the potty.  Well, the other night after he went pee, he looked at me and said "mommy, I make blue!!!" Then, I look at him and say " wow kid... you are going places in this world, because that is talented!"  That has been my interesting life with my almost 3 year old.  This is my child who is going to put me through the ringer.  He is ornery in every way possible. 

I need to come up with something new to talk to about now that this part of my journey is almost over. 

I will update after my surgery!!!  I can't wait to feel like a woman again!

No comments:

Post a Comment