Sunday, June 30, 2013

30?!? No not me!!

So I have decided to just add an update.  I can't believe I am turning thirty on Saturday!! Seriously.... old people turn 30!  Haha... just kidding!   Well, turning 30 comes with a whole new set of surveillance.  On July 8th I will be having a pelvic ultrasound and a CA-125 drawn.  I am already starting to get nervous thinking about that.  I have a tough time when I am waiting to have tests and results that I have no control over.  I still don't want to have a BSO (bilateral salpingo oophorectomy) yet, which is ultimately having my ovaries removed. But the more I think about having to go through the anxious waiting every 6 months waiting on results, the more I think that will be an option sooner rather than later.  On July 11th, I get to meet with the plastic surgeon to go over what to expect on August 2nd!!!!!  I am so excited to have my exchange surgery.  I think I bruised my friend this weekend, when we put our arms around each for a picture and I ran into her with my boulders!!

This weekend we took the boys camping with a family that has boys close to our boys age.  We have been friends with these guys for about 8-9 years.  This weekend was so much fun, nature trails, fishing (without hooks, of course... the boys ages were 6,5,4, and almost 3, we didn't want to be pulling hooks out of boys heads this weekend) campfires and just crazy, stinky little boys! It was a bittersweet weekend.  It was a good-bye weekend.  I hate good-byes!! They are moving in a week.  I know I  need to get used to good byes with moving in 3 months, but it never is easy.  I don't look forward to saying good bye again. We just need to bring our people with us to Florida! :-)

The past couple of weeks, I have found a couple of great groups on facebook for breast cancer survivors and/or BRCA positive women.  The first group is Young Previvors,   https://www.facebook.com/groups/bravebosom/ and the other is Beyond the Pink Moon, https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeyondthePinkMoon/.  The first group is focused more towards BRCA positive women and women with high risk family history of breast cancer without BRCA mutations.  The general amount of people in this group have not had cancer, they are doing different surveillance measures or prophylactic options.  The second group has more women who have had breast cancer.  Both of these groups are amazing!!! These women are so supportive and also are great to ask questions and have discussions with.  I highly recommend both of these groups!!!!  I have to say, I am grateful for all the wonderful people I have met along this journey!!



There is a blog I have been following that has reminded me why I went through what I did..  But doctor I hate pink, http://www.butdoctorihatepink.com/
She is an amazing blogger!!!  I can not believe the fight, strength, humor, and love and she has terminal breast cancer.  She is an amazing inspiration, her blogs make laugh, make me cry,  make me angry to see what cancer has done to families, make me grateful I am not fighting cancer.  I have read some women who have talked about having survivors guilt when they know/meet someone with a different prognosis.  It is difficult to explain, I feel this, too.  My mom and I received a letter the other day from a woman  who wanted to thank us for the letter and was telling us about her mother/daughter story.  Both of them are fighting breast cancer and was diagnosed about the same time with it.  I felt guilty that I had the opportunity to not have to fight that fight and many women are not so lucky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment